The field of employee performance appraisal is one of the weakest links in many organisations. Such organisations are in danger of treating their best employees equally as the average or even the worst ones. The design and redesign of performance management system encompasses:
- proper and practical implementation of employee performance management system
- development of key performance indicators at the level of the entire organisation, its organisational units and workplaces
- shaping the straightforward performance standards and defining the model of required competences adjusted to the organisation
- determining how to distinguish good from average employees
- defining the performance appraisal model
- the methods of performance goals setting and providing appraisal feedback to the employees.
Motivating reward system defines criteria of performance assessment, as well as criteria for determining quantity and type of reward for achieved results.
Some of performance management goals are:
- to ensure that all employees know what is expected of them
- to ensure transparent evaluation of work performance
- to ensure every employee receives adequate feedback on his work performance.
Determining the types of additional financial and other rewards, as well as criteria for awarding, make it possible to:
- reward and highlight one’s contribution to the achievement of business goals
- reward and highlight behaviour that is in accordance with desired business ethics
- reward excellent specialists regardless of hierarchical level.
Performance management systems are introduced with the aim of implementing business strategies and are therefore very diverse and flexible.
Excellent employees are motivated to achieve results. Clear communication of expectations and transparent criteria for assessment of their achievement increase productivity, cooperation and work satisfaction.
Performance management and reward system implementation results are
- analysis of current system for setting individual goals and work performance rewards
- development and implementation of performance management system fine-tuned to a particular company (model, implementation dynamics and responsibility in the implementation of new processes)
- updating of job descriptions through determination of key work activities and standards of success for particular positions
- implementation of tools and documentation necessary for the implementation, administration and archiving of the processes
- education of all partakers in the process.